Tuesday, September 9, 2014

PUMA GREAT NORTH CITYGAMES REPORT

Former European and Commonwealth 110m hurdles champion Andy Turner enjoyed a champagne send off, and endured some water treatment from his Great Britain team-mates, in an emotion-filled climax to the Puma Great North CityGames on Gateshead Quayside.

Former Commonwealth and European 110m hurdles champ Andy Turner put some water treatment from his Great Britain team mates, and loved a champagne send off, in a emotion-filled climax to the Puma Great North CityGames.

Not long other members and sprinter Harry Aikines-Aryeetey poured water in the Nottinghamshire sportsman that was favorite as well as a bottle of champagne was thrust into his hands.

"It was not quite imagined to be like that," said Greg Rutherford, who'd earlier won the long jump.

My strategy now is have him in an entire universe of pain and to keep sober as you possibly can tonight. We are taking him out in town to give him some punishment."

Turner, who won a World Championship bronze medal that is dazzling in 2011 in Daegu, following his two gold medals up from Commonwealth Games and the 2010 European Championships, was close after.

"I can not describe the emotions I felt leading up to that race," Turner said. I am fighting for words at this time. I have taken more from my profession than I might have envisioned.

"I am not the most gifted sportsman - only the average man from Nottingham who grafted and got the best out of himself. I experienced a vision to make the Olympic Games and I had been fortunate enough to do it three times."

The 27-year old Milton Keynes athlete was chosen to compete at the IAAF Continental Cup for Europe next weekend but has made a decision to draw a line after fighting on Tyneside to success.


Londoner JJ Jegede led from the initial round with 7.76m and it required Rutherford three efforts to improved that, eventually winning with a fourth round attempt of 7.92m. "I only feel emotionally born right now," admitted Rutherford. "I needed to pull out everything only to win now.

"I am not in shape to do myself justice in Marrakesh and I'd just go there if I believed I could win it. I am likely to walk away from what is a fabulous year with a triumph from what's my favourite event.

"Myself love competing in the CityGames and to come here and win is an excellent solution to finish an excellent season. I am able to relax, enjoy myself and put my feet up now."

The European and Commonwealth 800m champion was overtaken prior to the track segment by Ohuruogu, who carried on to power into a critical success in an extremely remarkable 1minute 07.46sec, with Sharp second in 1:08.05 and Child third in 1:08.11.

Inquired whether she'd contemplate stepping up occasion further in distance, to 800m, Ohuruogu answered: "I undoubtedly will not be doing that. It is the longest competitive race I have ever done. Ohuruogu believed the additional 100m will be difficult as I believed, but it was not as awful.

"It turned out to be a great fun occasion to do. We all were laughing to the start line because we did not understand we were going to begin. Fair play to the girls last night, who ran in Brussels. They were great sports for turning up."

The Dundee Hawkhill Harrier was able to keep her composure after Helen Obiri, the 2013 World Championship bronze medallist edged with 400m staying past her and grabbed the lead.

"We went to the race having a winning strategy," said Muir, giving a nod of respect to her trainer, Andy Young. "Myself do not usually take it on like that in races but I believed it was the race for trying it out.

"Myself thought someone might go past me but I managed to trail them and complete firmly."

"That was simply astounding," Philip reflected. "Philip went out quickly and it had been difficult to hang on but I managed it."

US sprinter Michael Rodgers was not able to do something similar in the 150m of the men. He was pipped to the line from the rapid ending world indoor 60m champion Richard Kilty, who won by 0.01sec in 15.32sec.

"I tore my hamstring in Zurich but I kept it quite because I do not enjoy to make explanations," shown the 25-year old Gateshead Harrier. "It only shows you what the head may do. I came here relaxed and excited before a home crowd and that i believe that helped, particularly in the last 50m."

There was likewise a British winner of the women's 100m hurdles, European champ Tiffany Porter clocking 12.79sec, for a crucial triumph over world champion Brianna Rollins of the US, who ended second in 13.02. "It is wonderful to win right in the front of so many British enthusiasts," she said. "I adore the CityGames. It is my favourite assembly of the year."

0 comments:

Post a Comment